Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Bedtime buddies


I really never love any of the time that Lane is gone, but nights are the most not fun of it all. Once the sun goes down and it's dark sometimes gets me a little scared, especially when I'm in bed trying to fall asleep and hearing noises or seeing shadows of trees that I'm SURE weren't there just the night before!

To help me get enjoy these nights a little bit more, I always keep a handy arsenal of books and such in case I need them at a given moments' notice:



I sleep on the right side of the bed and L is on the left, so to take his place I have:

* The remote, in case I can't fall asleep and need Jerry Seinfeld or late-night infomercials to keep me company
* My bible; actually most nights I put my hand on it and fall asleep touching it. I'm a nerd. But it helps
* Relevant magazine; do you guys know Relevant? Very cool mag. Very witty, very thought-provoking, very... Relevant.
* A book called "We the People", a study on the political history of the U.S. Again: Me=Nerd. I love all things history.
* A book called Good News for those Trying Harder written by my pastor
* A book of Celtic prayers
and lastly
* The Catcher in the Rye because I'm trying to catch up on my classics.

This might be a weird thing that I do when the boy is gone, but every time, on that first night I'm walking back to the bedroom prepared with an armful of reading material and entertainment and it stays there until he walks back in the door. Maybe it's to fill space on the bed to it doesn't seem so empty. Maybe it's to keep my mind occupied in the quiet so I don't get lonely. Who knows? Weird coping mechanisms.

2 comments:

  1. I do the same thing when my hubby is gone. I loved the article on Zachary Levi in Relevant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the same thing! I don't have a TV in my room because I would never sleep if I did. But I do have a stack of books and usually some token or stuffed animal from Al to keep me company.

    ReplyDelete