Saturday, March 20, 2010

Some of my favorite things


Life has returned to normal. Laundry has been done, bags unpacked, hours of sleep caught up on and newspapers read. Bed still has yet to be made, but I'm working on it.

Today, my friends, I am going to be sharing with you a few of my favorite things that highlighted my Saturday.

Round One: The Grocery Game... do any of you know about it? It is brilliant. Sometimes I have a love/hate relationship with it honestly, but then I look at my grocery bill and see how much I saved and that reminds me that it's worth it.

You go online and see what's on sale for the week and print out your list.
Then you go through Sunday papers past & present and cut out the coupons.
It is a bit of a time commitment cutting and clipping, clipping and cutting.
But at King Sooper's I saved 52% of my grocery bill! 46 buckaroos!

Round Two: Sweet, sweet Starbucks.

After the shopping of the groceries I generously let L stay home to work on taxes and I headed over to the Bucks. In full disclosure I prefer local coffee shops and will go there whenever possible but also in full disclosure I am unabashed about my true love for Starbucks, global chain that it is. However, my husband had given me a gift card for Starbucks along with some other sweet presents as a Thank You for everything I've done these last 6 months to support him in his new job. He's just cute like that. So me and my Cafe Misto hung out for a few hours on an oversized comfy chair full of sweet solitude and writing. Brilliant.

Well done, Starbucks. Well done.

Round Three: The creation of a new yummy appetizer recipe that I just discovered. We went over to a friends house for dinner and I had signed up to bring the munchies, and this recipe met the need with flying colors. Delish!

:::Sausage Wontons:::

The Major Players
3/4 Italian Sausage (I used about 1.5 lbs)
1/2 cup Salsa (I just dumped it in until it looked like enough)
2 oz diced green chilis (I used a 4 oz can)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I poured in whatever was left in the bag)
1/2 cup Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese ( I used a lot more than 4 oz)
Wontons (These things are just cool)
Some green onions (Thinly sliced; I used 3 stalks)
Sour Cream (Maybe a cup or so? It's for garnish)

Step One: Cook the Italian Sausage. This part I would change next time and try to buy it like hamburger meat. I have no patience and it took awhile to cook them like this and get them into bite-sized pieces.


2: Once the sausage is cooked and broken up, first drain the grease and then add the green chilis and salsa. Let them simmer together until the liquid has evaporated and the mixture has thickened a little. Let that cool and then add the cheeses and stir it up.


3: Place the wontons in a mini-muffin pan (press them down in the center, making them into cute little cups). Add the sausage mixture to each cup.


4: Bake in a 350 degree oven for ten minutes or until the wontons start to get golden brown. Then, take the sausage cups and put them on a baking sheet and bake for another 10 minutes to crisp up the bottom of the wontons.

5: Slice up your green onions and mix it into the sour cream as a garnish.

6: Put them in cute little rows and commence ADORING these things. Love love LOVE them.


L sometimes (every night) accuses me of not being careful enough when I cook and make things unnecessarily messy.

I, for one, can't figure out what in the world he's talking about!

2 comments:

  1. Love your new posts! especially about making a mess - I get the same teasing from Beau on a regular basis. Whatever. as long as the food tastes good!

    Question for you - i've tried to do the couponing thing, but I find that usually what I want to buy doesn't have many coupons. maybe I'm a grocery snob, but I find that the vast majority of coupons are for packaged, processed foods -- of which I buy as little as possible. Do you have some secret resources you could share?? :)

    would love to see your necklaces! i wish i were crafty. I just don't have that bone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had that same concern about groceries- I didn't want to get sucked into a deal and end up buying 10 boxes of Frosted Flakes just because they were on sale even though we don't eat stuff like that. The Grocery Game is cool though because they track advertised & manufacturing coupons as well as unadvertised coupons so when you look at their coupon list there's a lot more than you would see in the paper. And yes, the vast majority of coupons are definitely for packaged, processed foods, but there's a surprising amount for organic food. There's always a ton of coupons for produce which makes up the bulk of my groceries, so that's super helpful.

    Check out thegrocerygame.com and see what you think about it. You can sign up for a free 4 week (i think? maybe 8) trial and then opt out if you don't like it.

    ReplyDelete