Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Oh my.


Have I been doing a lot of food posts lately? Sorry. But I do love me some food.

I try to be aware of having varied posts and subjects each week, so sorry if this is just one too many yummy recipes.

But this one. This. One. Is so good.

I heard about this recipe about 4 years ago when I was going through my FoodNetwork stage. It was nothing but Paula, Giada, and Rachel for me. Seriously. We had just moved to Georgia and I had no friends so I adopted those three as my besties.

I've since grown and matured and moved on to HGTV but don't tell Giada.

The Matriarch of Goodness. The Mother of all that is Unhealthy. Paula Deen herself showed me this recipe 4 years ago and I have never really felt like I had a reason to make so much decadence.

But tonight was the night. We were having our YL college leaders over for dessert, so who better to pawn off a new recipe that might or might not make their stomach explode with sugar overload than starving college students?

It was a smashing success.

Here it is if you'd like to try it out yourself!

Chocolate Bread Pudding

1 lb loaf French bread cut into cubes
3 cups milk
1/4 c heavy cream
1/2 c coffee flavored liqueur
1/2 c granulated sugar
1 c packed brown sugar
1/4 c cocoa powder
1 T vanilla extract
2 t almond extract
1 1/2 t ground cinnamon
6 eggs, slightly beaten
8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips



1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees

2. Grease a 13x9 baking dish and put the bread cubes in

3. Whisk the milk, cream, and coffee liquor (aka liquid gold) together. You better believe that I poured a little Kahlua in the measuring cup, a little in my mouth, a little in the cup, a little for me...


4. In another bowl, combine the granulated and brown sugars with the cocoa powder and mix well. Add this to the milk mixture and whisk to combine.


5. Add the vanilla and almond extracts and cinnamon to the beaten eggs and combine. Combine the egg mixture with the milk mixture and mix well. Stir in the chocolate chips.


6. Pour the mixture evenly over the bread cubes ; let stand, stirring occasionally, for at least 20 minutes.


7. Bake the pudding for 1 hour or until set.

And if you thought we were done, we most definitely are not. Because of this:

Let's say it all together: The Cream Sauce.

The immense yummyness that gets poured over the chocolate bread pudding. You don't have to use this, but believe me, you want to.

What you need, should you choose to accept:

2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup Irish cream liqueur (I used my Kahlua again)
1/4 cup sugar
3 T cornstarch
Water, to dissolve cornstarch
1 t vanilla extract

Heat the heavy cream, liqueur, and sugar. Mix cornstarch with about 3 T water. Stir into the cream mixture and heat until thickened. Add vanilla.

Serve over bread pudding.


I just dare you to let this melt in your mouth. Mmmmmmm.


Have a great Wednesday, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment